Peer Reviewed Articles:
- Kleyn, T. & Stern, N. (2018). Labels as limitations. MinneTESOL Journal.
- Kleyn, T., Alulema, D., Khalifa, F., & Morales Romero, A. (2018).Learning from Undocumented Students Testimonios for Strategies to Support and Resist. The New Educator, 14(1). DOI:10.1080/1547688X.2017.1404174
- Kleyn, T. (2017). Centering Transborder Students: Perspectives on Identity Languaging and Schooling Between the U S and Mexico. Multicultural Perspectives, 19(2), 76-84. DOI: 10.1080/15210960.2017.1302336
- Kleyn, T., López, D., & Makar, C. (2015). What about bilingualism? A critical reflection on the edTPA with teachers of emergent bilinguals. Bilingual Research Journal. 38:1, 88-106, DOI:10.1080/15235882.2015.1017029
- Flores, N., Kleyn, T., & Menken, K. (2015). Looking holistically in a climate of partiality: Identities of students labeled ‘Long-Term English Language Learners’. Journal of Language, Identity & Education, 14(2), 113-132, DOI: 10.1080/15348458.2015.1019787.
- Menken, K., Kleyn, T., & Chae, N. (2012). Spotlight on “long-term English language learners”: Characteristics and prior schooling experiences of an invisible population. International Multilingual Research Journal, 6(2), 121-142.
- Kleyn, T., & Reyes, S. (2011). Nobody said it would be easy: Ethnolinguistic group challenges to bilingual and multicultural education in New York City. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 14(2), 207-224.
- Kleyn, T. (2010). Cultural mismatch in Honduran Garífuna communities: The role of culture, race, and language in schools. Diaspora, Indigenous and Minority Education, 4(4), 217-234.
- Menken, K., & Kleyn, T. (2010). The long-term impact of subtractive schooling in the educational experiences of secondary English learners. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 13(4), 399-417.
- Menken, K., & Kleyn T. (April 2009). The difficult road for long-term English learners. Educational Leadership, 66(7).
- Kleyn, T. (2008). Speaking in colors: A window into uncomfortable conversations about race and ethnicity in U.S. bilingual classrooms. GiST: The Colombian Journal of Bilingual Education, 2: 13-23.
- Torres-Guzmán, M.E., Morales-Rodriguez, S., Han, A., & Kleyn, T. (2005). Self-designated dual-language programs: Is there a gap between labeling and implementation? Bilingual Research Journal, 29(2), 453-474.
Journal Guest Editor: Kleyn, T., & Irizarry, J. (2011) (Eds.). Special theme issue on immigration and education. The New Educator, 7(1).
- Kleyn, T. & Irizarry, J. (2011). Guest editorial introduction: Special issue on immigration and education. . The New Educator, 7(1), 1-3.
- Irizarry, J., & Kleyn, T. (2011). Immigration and education in the “supposed land of opportunity”: Youth perspectives on living and learning in the U.S. The New Educator, 7(1), 5-26.
Magazine, Newsletter & Blogs:
- Kleyn T. (June 17, 2016). What it’s like to return to Mexico, from the perspective of three kids who grew up north of the border. Public Radio International (PRI). [Available: http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-06-17/what-its-return-mexico-perspectives-three-kids-who-grew-north-border]
- Kleyn T. (March 28, 2016). Rethinking home: A powerful look at return migration via film. American Immigration Council. [Available: http://teachimmigration.blogspot.com/2016/03/rethinking-home-powerful-look-at-return.html]
- Kleyn, T. (Spring/Summer 2015). Negotiation borders: US-born and raised children (back) in Mexico. NYSABE Bilingual Times, 4-6. [Available: http://nysabe.net/index/pdf/BT/NYSABE_Bilingual.Times_Spr-Sum,2015.pdf]
- Kleyn, T. (October 10, 2014). Letter to the editor: The secret we keep from bilingual learners/English language learners. The New York Post, 28.
- Kleyn, T. (Winter, 2013/July 2013). Living undocumented: High school, college and beyond. NYSABE Bilingual Times, 12-15 and TESOL Bilingual Education Interest Section and Teachers of English to Deaf Students Newsletter [Available: http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/tesolbeis/issues/2013-06-28/3.html]
- Kleyn, T. (June 16, 2011). “New York: Setting the path for dreams.” The Poughkeepsie Journal – on-line edition.
- Kleyn, T. (January-March 2011). Bilingualism beyond borders: A challenge for all educators. NYSABE News, 3-5. [Available: http://www.nysabe.net/Newsletters/NYSABE.Newsletter_FINAL._WINTER2011.pdf]
- Kleyn, T. (March 2010). Bilingualism and the deficit-gifted dichotomy: Challenging the U.S. framework. National Capital Language Resource Center, 14(3). [Available: http://nclrc.org/about_teaching/topics/feature.html]